Univ.-Prof. Vilmos Vécsei, MD
Surgery, Visceral Surgery, Trauma Surgery, Sports Traumatology
Vilmos Vécsei is specialist in surgery and trauma surgery.
After achieving his habilitation in trauma surgery he became head of the I. Department of Surgery and Trauma Care at the hospital Wilhelminenspital in Vienna.
In 1991 Dr. Vécsei became professor of trauma surgery at the University of Vienna and as of 1992 he is head of the University Clinic for Trauma Surgery at the University of Vienna.
- 1978 Habilitation in Trauma Surgery
- 1982 Head of the I. Department of Surgery and Trauma Care at the hospital Wilhelminenspital in Vienna
- 1991 Professor of Trauma Surgery at the University of Vienna
- 1991 Head of the I. University Clinic for Trauma Surgery at the University of Vienna
- 1992 Head of the I. and II. University Clinic for Trauma Surgery at the University of Vienna
- General Surgery and Visceral Surgery
- Trauma Surgery
- Special field: Sports Traumatology
- Special field: Vascular Surgery
- President of the Gerhard Küntscher Society (1992 – 1998)
- Member of the board of the Austrian Society for Surgery
- President of the Austrian Society of Trauma Surgery (2002)
- President of the European Trauma Society (2000 – 2002)
- Chairman of the Trauma Committee SICOT (since 2001)
- Secretary General of the European Trauma Society (2003 – 2007)
- AO Trustee (2004 – 2011)
- Vice-president of the European Society for Trauma and Emergency Surgery (2008 – 2011)
- SICOT ambassador (2014)
- Distinguished member of SICOT (2015)
- Austrian Society for Trauma Surgery
- German Society for Trauma Surgery
- German Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- German Society for Osteology
- Gerhard Küntscher Society
- Limb Reconstruction Society
- Limb Lengthening and External Fixation (ASAMI)
- Société Internationale de Chirurgie, Orthopédique et de Traumatologie (SICOT)
- College of Physicians in Vienna (Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien)
- Lorenz Böhler Society
- Austrian Working Group for Osteosynthesis
- Austrian Society for Surgical Research
- Austrian Society for Experimental Surgery
- Austrian Society for Surgery
- Austrian Hand Surgery Society
- Austrian Society for Sports Medicine
- Austrian association of Chief Hospital Physicians
- Van Swieten Society
- European Society of Sports Traumatology
- European Society for Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy
- Austrian Association of Emergency Medicine
- Society for Orthopaedic Traumatologic Sports Medicine
- European Bone and Joint Infection Society
- European Trauma Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Corresponding Member of the German Society for Trauma Surgery
Professorships / lectureships
- University of Szeged
- Orthopaedic Clinic of Patras University
- Cross of Honour for Science and Art, First Class
- Officer’s Cross for services to the Republic of Hungary (Komturkreuz des Offiziersordens für Verdienste um die Republik Ungarn)
- Grand Decoration of Honour in Silver for Services to the Republic of Austria
- Purkinje Medal
- Lorenz-Böhler Medal
- Lumniczer-Sándor Commemorative Medal
- Typovsky Medal
Throughout his medical activity Vilmos Vécsei published more than 400 articles as an author or coauthor. Furthermore he gave numerous lectures at national and international congresses.
- Frenzel S, Vécsei V, Negrin L. (2015). Periprosthetic femoral fractures-incidence, classification problems and the proposal of a modified classification scheme
- Negrin LL, Vécsei V. (2013). Is a magnetic-manual targeting device an appealing alternative for distal locking of tibial intramedullary nails?
- Negrin LL, Vécsei V. (2013). Do meta-analyses reveal time-dependent differences between the clinical outcomes achieved by microfracture and autologous chondrocyte implantation in the treatment of cartilage defects of the knee?
- Kovar FM, Aldrian S, Endler G, Vécsei V, Hajdu S, Heinz T, Wagner OF. (2012). CK/CK-MB ratio as an indirect predictor for survival in polytraumatized patients.
- Aldrian S, Wernhart S, Negrin L, Halat G, Schwendenwein E, Vécsei V, Hajdu S. (2012). Epidemiological and economic aspects of polytrauma management in Austria.